Life in the Fast Lane


5K Race: Check!

By 11:45 AM , , , , , , , , , , ,

I only started to run seriously late May/early June of this year, and I remember how much of a struggle it was — especially with my asthma. My lungs would constrict while running, and I'd be gasping for air every few meters. I'd have to stop, walk off the tightness in my lungs, and pick up the pace once again ever so slowly.

In time, though, I learned how to manage my breathing until I could run for longer periods of time and walk less. Until now, though, I still have to take quick walking breaks just to rest my leg muscles. I feel I've improved a lot, though (for one thing, I'm starting to see actual leg muscles in my logs-for-legs; that's something, right?). And from 0K, to 3K in July, I now run 5K or more!

This was put to the test last Sunday, September 30th, during the much-anticipated Adidas King of the Road race.

Like what happens on most race days, my Sunday started off really early in the morning. I was up by 4am to down a light (more of quick, energy-boosting) breakfast, do some stretches, and prepare my gear. By 5:30am, I was already in Bonifacio Global City together with my brother Chuck, his best friend/our neighbor Polo, and Polo's girlfriend, Franch.

There seemed to be thousands of 5K runners. To think that this "population" didn't even include the runners from the other categories.

At gun start, I ran my usual pace. I was a bit worried, though, because the day before, my left foot did a misstep, and I had to ice my ankle. It was fine the morning of the race, though, so I hoped it would hold up.

For the first two or so kilometers, I was fine. I kept up my pace, and here I was running behind Franch (aqua singlet and short hair) and Polo (on the right with the blue singlet).

After grabbing some water from the hydration station, that was when I started to feel my left foot throbbing. I would jog for a few meters, then walk it off, then resume jogging. This was my pattern for most of the race.

At least I wasn't alone. I saw that lots of other people would resort to walking after running for a few meters.

Along the way, I just decided to take it easy and people watch. I observed what people were wearing and using (some really had the works when it came to their iPods and earphones). I even saw a dog trailing his human — off-leash! — the entire race.

And when I reached the finish line, I was just happy to have finished the whole distance without any major injuries.

Receiving my finisher's medal was a fulfilling sight, too.

Lesson learned: don't ever injure yourself the day/days before race day. 

I went over my usual time by 16 minutes — really bad in my book — but I'm just happy to have joined my first 5K, which is something I never imagined I'd do since I never used to like running.

Congratulations to Chuck for targeting his ideal pace. He had a good run!

Franch and Polo ran the entire time together and gave it a good fight, too. 'Til the next race!

Game face on, stupid pose, sweaty, flushed, and limping, but still going for it.

I hope to join one more race before the year ends. Probably in December.

Milo on December 9, anyone?

You Might Also Like


© tinaaraneta 2016. Powered by Blogger.